GETF aims to design and implement sustainable, high-impact programs throughout the world. Listed below is a dynamic list of resources from across our three focus areas.
Water and Sanitation
- UN-Water Global Annual Assessment of Sanitation and Drinking Water: Targeting Resources for Better Results (PDF) – This assessment is a UN-Water initiative implemented by the World Health Organization (WHO) that provides policy makers with a reliable, accessible, comprehensive and global analysis of the evidence on sanitation and drinking water.
- Raising Clean Hands: Advancing Learning, Health and Participation through WASH in Schools (PDF) – This document, produced by a coalition of water and sanitation organizations led by the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), calls for increased investmend and coordination to ensure that children go to a school with access to adequate water, sanitation and hygiene facilities.
- Rethinking Hydro-Philanthropy (PDF) - Ned Breslin, CEO of Water For People, calls for transformative change in the water and sanitation sector. In this January 2010 essay he outlines key steps that donors, NGOs, local governments and communities should take to create sustainable change with long term benefits.
- Safer Water, Better Health: Costs, Benefits and Sustainability of Interventions to Protect and Promote Health (PDF) – This World Health Organization (WHO) publication estimates the burden of disease due to water, sanitation and hygiene in countries around the world and highlights how much disease could be prevented through increased access to safe water and better hygiene.
- Sick Water?: The Central Role of Wastewater Management in Sustainable Development (PDF) – This UNEP and UN-HABITAT publication details challenges and opportunities relating to wastewater management.
- Joint Monitoring Program 2010 Report: Progress on Sanitation and Drinking Water (PDF) – This biennial report published by the WHO and UNICEF’s Joing Monitoring Program (JMP) reports on the status and progress towards the MDG target on sanitation and drinking water.
- The WASH Sustainability Charter: Improving WASH Service Delivery – Following the WASH Sustainability Forum held in January 2011, Global Water Challenge, Water For People, Aguaconsult and Deloitte developed a WASH Sustainability Charter to set forth principles for sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene programming.
- Global WASH Backgrounders – Global Water Challenge and Deloitte partnered to develop a series of background documents on water, sanitation and hygiene conditions around the world. Visit the GWC website to learn more about WASH across world regions and to identify areas of greatest need.
Clean Energy and Climate Change
- Powering Health: Energy Management in Your Health Facility (PDF) – The Powering Health Guidebook, produced by GETF in partnership with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), highlights electrification options available for off-grid, rural hospital and clinic facilities in sub-Saharan Africa and outlines key considerations for utilizing various energy technologies including capital and operating costs, reliability, durability, emissions output and optimal use guidance.
- Environmental Initiatives at Seaports Worldwide (PDF) – This research paper on the state of sustainable development for port authorities around the world was developed by GETF’s International Institute for Sustainable Seaports (I2S2) and was presented at several venues including the Green Port International Symposium.
- Lions on the Move: The Progress and Potential of African Economies (PDF) – This report from the McKinsey Global Institute surveys the growing economies of Africa and investigates the causes of growth in recent years, the prospects for future growth and the most promising business opportunities ahead.
- The True Size of Africa – This map shows the true size of the continent of Africa by showing how it compares to countries around the world.